The Invitation Text:
, Ca. San Diego
Guests to Shake, Rattle 'n' Roll a Party
· Must be willing to go back in time to the Fabulous 50's in authentic costumes
· Must be physically & mentally fit to 'Twist & Shout', 'Rock & Roll' from 6pm till midnight
· Must be 'Hopelessly Devoted' to the cause of the University of the Philippines Alumni Association (UPAA-SD) - San Diego
THE APPLICATION FEE
$35 for guaranteed 'Acceptance'
Fun, Dinner & Dance, & A Most Unforgettable Experience
50's Dance & Costume Competition
THE DATE & TIME
Saturday, 17 November 2007, 6pm
The Champion Ballroom Academy
(Home of Fox's 'So You Think You Can Dance' Judge Mary Murphy)
3580 5th Ave
San Diego, CA 92103
For details contact
Betty Bael, UPAA-SD 50’s Event Organizer
Cheri Dalton and Rudy Liporada
Masters of Ceremonies
– Registration; Dancing Begins...
– Welcome Remarks by Boodgie Arce, UPAA-SD President
– Program (Dancing in between numbers)
- Opening Song – Ivory
Beauty Queen & Singer-Composer Boskovich-Cunanan, LA
- Dance Number – Line Dance by FX Studio Dancers
- Introduction of the Panel of Judges for Costume & Dance Contests – Betty Bael
- Costume Parade – Everyone is invited to participate c/ Boodgie Arce and Betty Bael
- Special Song Number - Dr. Mario Ines, The Singing Doctor
- Dance Contest – Everyone is invited to participate c/ Boodgie Arce and Betty Bael
- Surprise Number – The UPAASD’s Grease Mega Mix
- Introduction of the Guest Speaker – Edwin Bael, Emeritus Philippine Consul General & Consultant of the ASK Law Immigration Office, SD
- Special Remarks by Guest Speaker – Julie Hill, World Traveller, Former Corporate Executive, Author, and most of all, a Filipino by Heart
- Results of Dance & Costume Contests – The Panel of Judges c/ Boodgie Arce and Betty Bael
OpportunityDrawing – Boodgie Arce
- Continue the Dance, Dance, Dance!
The Reception & Registration Committee with their welcoming smiles...
The UPAA-SD President, Boodgie Arce & the Fabulous 50's Event Organizer, Betty Bael
officially opened the bash...
a Buffet-dinner for the Rock-'n'-Rollers
served by the Top Hat Caterers...
Ok, folks, let's start from here...
& a bit more there...
for the sweet tooth...more here!
'the Chocolate Splendor' (chocolate fountain)
Wow, that was good food!
Ivory Boskovich-Cunanan, Guest Performer from Los Angeles
The Dancing begins immediately...
Big Daddy and Babe...still remember the steps, Pardner?
- Ron Somera & partner
Hi-lili, hi-lo...Ann Napolitano & partner
Daddy 'O' and Hot Mama with her "baubles, bangles & beads"
- Dione Maceda & Pressy Garrovillas
What a kill! - Beth Antiporda & Carlos Balmaceda
Elvis Presley (Judge Rafael Arreola) and Marilyn Monroe (Mrs. Estela Arreola)
gracing the affair!
A special intermission song number by the Singing Doctor...Dr. Mario Ines
We can dance many dance music -
the' sweet' & the 'very sweet'...The Oadeses
Oh, I made a 'goof'...is this the right step? - The Donaldsons
Shake, rattle & roll...The Caccams
Shake, shake, shake! - Cheri Dalton & Rudy Liporada
The hot rodder courting the teeny bopper...The Macedas
The Bobby Soxers...Dr. Caccam, Boodgie Arce & Dr. Cudal
Dr Lani Alarcon, Yolly Rosario, Betty Bael, Femie Cupit
Hot rodder Cruisin' for a Bruisin' with pedal pusher gals...
Edwin Bael, Femie Cupit & Guest
Perfect dance partners & winners!
-The Alanis couple
Sorry, darling...I think you're playing the 30's music!
Let's have the 50's music back ...ok, Djs?
Line dance leaders...
The 'glow worms'...
Are you doing the swing or the 'pandanggo sa ilaw'?
better make up your mind, girls...
Cha-cha is perfect for us...
Hello! Dolly, It's so nice to have you back where you belong...
The emcees doing their own brand of 'emceing'
Let's do the twist!
How about the boogie this time?
Now, on a more serious note...
Introduction of the Guest Speaker
by Emeritus Philippine Consul General Edwin Bael
Julie Hill, our guest judge tonight fares from
Aside from being herself a former executive of a major American corporation and a published author of two books of essays, tales and reminiscences, Julie is a friend of our country where she lived for six years, and continues to be a frequent traveler.
With her husband, the late Arthur Hill, she lived in our country during the tumultuous years of the Marcos administration. As the head of the Ford Foundation, Arthur Hill was responsible for numerous grants to a number of Filipino institutions and was honored by then President Lopez of UP with an honorary doctorate ‘for his scholarly discernment and deep understanding not only of the needs of the Faculty and students of the U of the P but also the high purposes of the Foundation.” Somehow Julie’s association with the
Julie is not just a consumer of culture and the arts, Culture and the arts have consumed her . She has integrated the beauty of Filipino culture in her lovely home with a collection of Philippine paintings, sculptures , religious artifacts, indigenous jewelry, in addition to an extensive collection of Philippine’s writers books …all these treasures to be returned some day back to our country
Some of the treasures she owns have been specially commissioned by leading Filipino artists, they remain treasures secret to all but her friends. An advocate of Philippine culture, a champion of many artists , Julie has the discerning eye and a world experience and exposure to serve as Judge & Speaker tonight in our endeavor.
Ms. Julie Hill, Guest Speaker
By Ms. Julie Hill, Guest Speaker
many thanks for the truly inspiring remarks!
1. Ms. Julie Hill - Guest Speaker & Contests Judge
Physicist, author, world traveler, corporate executive, and most of all, a Filipino by heart. (see also introduction above)
2. Hon. Judge Rafael A. Arreola, San Diego Superior Court Judge (Ret.)
Judge Rafael A. Arreola received his Doctor of Jurisprudence Degree from
3. Atty. Estela Arreola - Contests Judge
Estela Aguilar, wife of Judge Arreola, was born in
4. Dr. Juanita Santos Nacu - Contests Judge
Immediate past President of UPAASD, Dr. Nacu is a
5. Atty. Edwin Bael - Contests Judge
The costume parade begins ...
Oooops.........where have all the contestant numbers gone?
The Brizuelas...wow, what perfect costumes!
Chit & Art Domingo
(special mention & appreciation to the Andreses, the Cunanans & the Karagdags)
the relatives (Atty. & Mrs. Jojo Karagdag)
Party organizer (Betty Bael) with Guest performer's Mom (Millie Boskovich-Cunanan)
and Dad as chaperone!
Betty Bael & Auring Cudal, UPAA-SD former Pres.,
& current officer of the UP Alumni Association of America
- Dr. Estela Matriano & Carole Caparros
The pedal pusher gals - dance winners, Femie Cupit & friend
Forever Friends - Yolly Rosario, Betty Bael, Rose Amparo, Dr. Lani Alarcon, Dr. Dottie Sazon
Event Costume Designer, UPAASD Pres. Boodgie Arce
· Dr. Ophelia Dirige and Dr. Riz Oades,
· Daisy Mirador, Nestle Toll House Cafe, Otay Ranch Mall
· Atty. Erwin Bautista, Law Offices of Erwin Bautista
· Mr. & Mrs. Philip Pinpin, Surety Life Insurance
· Dr. Lani Alarcon, DDS, Inc. Cosmetic and Family Dentistry
· Nancy Mendoza, Villa Manila Restaurant
· Edna Concepcion, Heritage Investment Group of Companies
· Femie Cupit, Eco Quest International
· Minda Marshall, Kangen Water Purifier
· Tristan Bael, Eco Quest International
· Carlos Dequina
· Rudy and Moonlight Brizuela
· Aurora and Winlove Cudal
· Pie and Sol Roque, El Primero Boutique Hotel
· Sim and Genny Silverio, Asian Journal
· Tomo and Cristina Garcia
· The Colmenars
· Pressy Garrovillas, Century 21 Award
· Barona Casino
· Rita Andrews, Pres. COPAO
· Pepe and Ping Farrales
· Dr. Lombardo and Ana Santiago
· Nandy and Felma Vargas
· Albert Alarcon, Pad Thai Restaurant of
· Dr. Leilani Alarcon, DDS, Inc. Cosmetic and Family Dentistry
· Tristan Bael, Chocolate Splendor
The Fabulous 50’s UPAA-SD Committee
· Over-all Chair/Party Organizer – Betty Bael, ArtsyGutsy Events
· Registration and Reception – Pressy Garrovillas, Chair; Edith Donaldson, Moonlight Brizuela, Zeny Ply, Ador and Cristina Colmenar, Members
· Tickets and Sponsorship – Carlos Dequina, Betty Bael and Boodgie Arce
· Program – Betty Bael, Boodgie Arce, Cheri Dalton and Rudy Liporada
· Finance – Ann Napolitano, Carole Caparros
· Prizes - Pat Maceda, Susan Chrismen
· Publicity - Aurora Cudal, Chair; Sim & Genny Silverio, Rudy Liporada, Members